This page gives a quick summary of information, screenshots and download links for my 20 fire sprinkler hydraulic calculations computer programs - the only ENTIRELY FREE ones of their kind in 2018.
The first 5 were developed in 2017 so perhaps you should initially consider those and the remaining ones are of varying complexity dating back to 2009. All are in METRIC units except FREEHCP which is specifically in American units of feet, inches, gpm and psi. There is a lot of useful data here so please SCROLL DOWN the extensive list as required ...
FREE program #1 of 20 : FIRSTHCP
FIRSTHCP is simple "point and click" drawing program for first-time users to the NFPA 13 / 15 Rules and dating from March 2017.
FREE program #2 of 20 : CAD2HCP
CAD2HCP will permit you to prepare your sprinkler layout drawing with any 2D CAD program (the excellent free LIBRECAD one is shown here), following a few, simple guidelines to add some text alongside the pipe sizes on the LINE / CIRCLE entities :-
Choose "Open" in CAD2HCP to select the file name to see this automatically generated 3D isometric using these items of text :-
Just click on the heads within the required branch lines to immediately do all the full hydraulic calculations with the flow rates shown and the most remotest head in green :-
One more click will show part of the RESULTS (use the 'arrow' keys to see the rest) :-
and one more click will PRINT to PDF or inkjet/laser printer if needed, or SAVE TO JPG, ZERO HEADS (to start a new design area) with other 3D views of your system and helpful labels (such as pipe pressures shown here) "zoomed in" :-
I think you will find CAD2HCP is a viable, zero-cost alternative to your current task of abstracting and duplicating a lot of information and data from the sprinkler layout drawing to / from a separate hydraulics program, for the same project. With my latest program, the 2D CAD drawing is the hydraulics data file to the latest NFPA / FM Rules in metric units. Just by adding a few more notes next to the pipe size (that you always show anyway), you don't need to buy any Building Information Management (BIM / REVIT) programs or continue with your existing hydraulic calculations software. If you wish to follow the EN12845 (and similar) Rules, please continue downwards to CAD2ENRULES.
FREE program #3 of 20 : CAD2ENRULES
You just draw out the sprinkler heads and pipes following some simple guidelines in your existing CAD program and add sizes / notes (mainly on vertical pipes) and you have finished - both the layout drawing AND as many hydraulic calculation areas as you want a few minutes later with this program.
The following screen shots show how you run CAD2ENRULES with your 2D CAD layout drawing all done in LibreCAD or similar (here zoomed in to the top left hand corner) :-
Choose "Open" in the program (under Windows 7) to see the 3D isometric full size :-
Just draw a "box" around heads in a plan view or click on the heads at the end of the required ranges in an isometric view to immediately do all the full hydraulic calculations with the flow rates shown, with the most remotest 4 heads in green :-
One more click will show part of the RESULTS (use the 'arrow' keys to see the rest) :-
and one more click will PRINT to PDF or inkjet/laser printer if needed, or you can get other views of your system with helpful text information. Here I have selected to view the pipe pressures and right clicked to zoom in - what could be easier?
All the information about the project data, layers, sizes, design parameters, pipe sizes / types / bores and fitting types / equivalent lengths is stored in BSEN12845.TXT - but you can add to, change or copy it as many times as needed for your own country / company / specific projects :-
No longer do you have to waste a lot of time in entering most (if not all!) the pipework / sprinkler heads that you have already drawn on the 2D CAD sprinkler layout plan into a separate hydraulics calculations program. Just by marking on a few extra items of text next to the size in mm against the pipes in CAD, I can produce a 3D isometric instantly and automatically so that any design area can be selected, the complicated "sums" done immediately and the familiar results presentation shown on screen / printed out. Try it out for yourself for FREE today and compare it to your existing design office procedures / workload - there are 6 demonstration examples to aid this evaluation. If you wish to follow the NFPA / FM Global Sprinkler Rules, please go back up the screen to CAD2HCP.
FREE program #4 of 20 : ISO2HCP
You prepare your isometric layout in your chosen CAD program as normal drawing the pipes as lines and the notes about the project data / design parameters / pipe sizes x lengths as text entities :-
Run ISO2HCP and select DEMO1 from the 'File options' menu to see the project data, calculations summary and then the same drawing with all the flow, pressure, velocity etc hydraulics data displayed by moving your mouse over the pipe of interest :-
Thats all! No need to node up the pipes, type in all the size, length, direction etc information to a separate full hydraulics program - this has all be done directly from your isometric - what could be easier?
FREE program #5 of 20 : FREEHCP
FREEHCP is a zero-cost, easy-to-use hydraulic calculations program for sprinkler / spray systems to NFPA 13 / 15 for use by designers, installers and contractors in America for their specific units of feet, inches, gpm and psi.
- All hazards, densities and areas of application for end or centre fed, looped or gridded sprinkler systems or any combination
- Room Design or Area / Density type calculations to set out the operating sprinklers
- All types of heads - upright / pendent, ESFR, quick response, large-drop etc
- All pipe, fitting and valve types stored in user editable database(s)
- Can be used in two ways, either by Computer Aided Design or created directly
- You can simply draw an isometric-like drawing using LINEs in CAD (LibreCAD is free), then add some data relating to each pipe with TEXT entities in the centres
- Alternatively, you can use options like add, break, copy, delete, edit and move to sketch out the hydraulically remotest area within FREEHCP - very quick and easy to follow / revise
- Every time you make a change, the updated calculations are instantly displayed with multiple undo / redo
- Gives a clear Water Supply Graph and Results Presentation on screen, PDF files or to print out
- Also spray, deluge, drencher, birdcage, ring-main, special-risk type water based fire protection systems to the NFPA 15 standard, with or without velocity pressure
- Produces a file specifically for AHJs so they can see all of drawing, graph and results themselves
- As promised, I have added a little "app" for optimum head spacing in a room
- Very easy and simple to use but comprehensive in scope / ability
- You "see" everything by entering data visually on the drawing rather than just typing information into your current program to get exactly the same answers
- It will only take you a few minutes to download my latest program and run through the four examples to establish that FREEHCP will be of immediate use on your projects.
DOWNLOAD FREEHCP [863kB 01 Dec 17] now or READ MORE about it or return to HOME page
FREE program #6 of 20 : FREEHC
FREEHC is a new, comprehensive and completely free "Windows" program for the full hydraulic calculations of all types of fire sprinkler protection systems to most countries rules and languages as follows :-
- Light, Ordinary or High hazards for any building occupancies
- Wet, dry, pre-action, end- or centre-fed, looped, gridded or birdcage pipework layouts or any combination
- Roof, roof+rack, above / below ceiling, ESFR, spray, drencher, deluge, water curtain systems, fire hydrant ring-mains or, in fact, any water based fire protection system
- Any area / density of coverage requirements easily complied with
- Multiple sprinkler rules applicable to any country - EN12845, NFPA and FMGLOBAL initially provided, others easily added except BS9251/BS8458/BS8459/EN16925
- Multiple languages (but not UniCode-based ones at present) - English initially, others requiring just translating a simple text file with instructions provided
- Metric units only of course - I presume any countries still using "imperial" already have such software for their specific use
- User editable database of pipe types, sizes and fittings to suit any project
- Simple "point and click" pictorial, fully interactive, 3D user interface showing plans, elevations or isometric views of your pipework layout
- Just "double-click" on plans / isometrics to 'zoom in' to that area and again to 'zoom out' to full size
- All options and messages are contained in a narrow panel on the left hand side of the screen leaving the rest for the drawing
- No "noding up" ever required and all "loops" automatically found in network
- Creates .DXF CAD drawing files and .CSV ones for reading into spreadsheets
- See the CAD2ENRULES program above if you prefer to do the CAD drawing first
- At any time, you can press the F1 function key for detailed 'Help'
FREE program #7 of 20 : AACALC8
An essential Windows "APP" for all sprinkler designers, installers and consultants in 5 sections :-
- Optimum sprinkler spacing in a room of given size and maximum head area
- Sprinkler head "K" factor, flow rate, pressure, area, density and specific gravity calculation with these added to end-fed range analysis with different pipe type, maximum allowable velocity and slope
- Pressure drop in a pipe in two ways by adjusting sliders or typing in specific figures with the data / answers in different units as required
- A unique flow / pressure graph (as above) for a wide range of pipe types, sizes, Hazen-Williams "C" factor and velocity for set ranges of flow rate
- A useful determination of the length of a reduced pipe size for a given flow rate and pressure drop as permitted by the CEA4001 Rules
FREE program #8 of 20 : FREEWATERMIST
FREEWATERMIST will carry out the hydraulic calculations of NFPA 750 Standard on Water Mist Fire Protection Systems (2015 Edition) as follows :-
- Deluge, Wet Pipe, Local, Engineered or Zoned Application arrangements
- Low, Intermediate or High Pressure, single fluid, single liquid phase types
- Light, Ordinary Group 1 or Ordinary Group 2 Hazard occupancy protection
- Open or Thermally Activated nozzles
- Copper or Stainless Steel pipe types with streamlined, soldered or threaded fittings
- Without or with velocity pressure included at intermediate nozzles along branch lines
- Without or with additives if density and absolute viscosity specified for the fluid
- Darcy-Weisbach or Hazen-Williams (low pressure only) pressure loss formulas
- Metric S.I units only (not U.S. Customary Units)
- All pipe / nozzle flows and pressures balanced to less than 0.001 bars
- Will determine minimum flow / pressure required at pumps / cylinders or these can be specified and the calculations all adjusted to suit and warnings given if nozzles become under their minimum pressures
- No "noding up" needed and produces 2D and 3D DXF files for your CAD program
- Database of suitable pipe types, sizes and fittings supplied which can be amended or added to for specific system types or projects
DOWNLOAD 11.09.17 version now or READ MORE about it or return to HOME page
FREE program #9 of 20 : AACALC12
AACALC12 is for the Pipe Schedule sizing method in NFPA 13 directly from your CAD drawing to produce a materials take-off quantities list / estimate in metric units only.
FREE program #10 of 20 : AACALC11
AACALC11 is a very simple spreadsheet based program to enable end-fed, looped and gridded fire protection pipework systems to be quickly entered, analysed and evaluated so that you may learn about full hydraulic calculations of sprinkler systems for yourself. It also shows a drawing (along with the input data and the results) by allowing the node numbers to represent the X and Y position percentages on the screen.
FREE program #11 of 20 : AACALC10
AACALC10 is a spreadsheet based program to enable end-fed, looped and gridded fire protection pipework systems to be quickly entered, analysed and evaluated so that you may learn about full hydraulic calculations of sprinkler systems for yourself.
FREE program #12 of 20 : AACALC9
AACALC9 is simple "point and click" drawing program for first-time users to the NFPA 13 / 15 Rules and dating from February 2014.
FREE program #13 of 20 : FREESHP
Calculation of hydraulically designed sprinkler (room design and area/density methods) and spray systems to the NFPA 13/15 and FM Global Rules in metric units. Node references are only required at tees / crosses (not at each end of all pipes) and you give the size, length, direction and slope of the pipes to the operating heads / nozzles so a 3D picture is produced as a DXF file. There is just one way and place to add, break, copy, delete, edit, move, locate or view pipes - no confusing options to learn or superfluous videos / manuals needed to find out what does what! You may have a background CAD drawing so can "draw" the pipes on the building / rooms / services plan rather than a blank screen. See the CAD2HCP program above if you prefer to do the CAD drawing first.
Click here for tutorial [24th January 2013 - about 9kb - just "Save" it to somewhere on your hard disk]. I have redone this as as .RTF file so users with HD screens can just reduce the width of FREESHP and have WORDPAD or similar running alongside, making it easier to step through the various options and see the program in operation.
FREE program #14 of 20 : EASYSHP
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler and spray systems to the European EN12845 Rules in metric units. Innovative / unique features include just 4 screens - "File options", "Project and Pipe Data", "Calculate and Show Results" and "Help" - very quick and easy to apply for your projects using simple data entry procedures and immediate calculations. Does not need to produce a drawing as most Reviewers / Inspectors still insist on seeing your sprinkler layout drawings so have to manually match them with the hydraulic calculations.
FREE program #15 of 20 : IPDS43
A standalone program for the calculation of the Qcap and Qmax values for the Installers Pump Data Sheet as the EN12845 and similar Sprinkler Rules in the same format as EASYSHP, so can also be used with HYD and older programs that do not include such an option. You just enter the flows, pressures and highest heads for the most remote / favourable design areas as well as the pump / tank details. These are typed in on simple "tabbed" data entry screens and you can view the resulting diagram on the same screen. If you hold your mouse button over one of the 8 data points, you can then slide it up or down and have the pump curve drawn out to suit with the revised Qcap / Qmax values.
FREE program #16 of 20 : VSHP
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler and spray systems to various International Rules in metric units. Innovative / unique features include an "all-in-one" user interface without needing to draw out the pipework scheme, a "grid wizard" option to automatically calculate the most remote / favourable design areas and show the Qcap/Qmax graph and easy to follow results presentation.
FREE program #17 of 20 : AACALC7
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler and spray systems to the European EN12845 / CEA Rules in metric units. Innovative / unique features include a very comprehensive options list, producing a zoomable 3D "picture" of the pipework / heads with an aerial view on a building "background", multiple water supplies, unique range numbers (so a complete range can be copied with a single number) or pipe-by-pipe, range-by-range (using "node" numbers that you may be used to), fast calculations and easy to follow results presentation. LibreCAD (http://librecad.org) is Free Open Source Software for the creation / amendment of the DXF drawing files produced by AACALC7.
FREE program #18 of 20 : AAVIEW7
A free viewing program for the various file types from my AACALC7 program including the CSV and XML options and 2D DXF CAD files as shown above.
FREE program #19 of 20 : NEW3RD
NEW3RD is a very simple "page" based program just for BS9251:2014 Residential and Domestic fire sprinkler occupancies of 1 to 4 heads in 1 or 2 design areas based on the category and mains supply or stored water systems in metric units only.
FREE program #20 of 20 : HYD
Full hydraulic calculation of sprinkler systems to BSEN12845 Rules in metric units. Innovative / unique features include a simple nodes + pipes data entry method on one screen, editable pipe types/fittings database provided now free for all it's previous users. See also the IPDS43 program #15 of 20 above for Qcap / Qmax graph.